Cips is aninternational procurement learning course by UK.
● Content of Level 4 inCips：
1. Contexts ofprocurement and supply
2. Business needsin of procurement and supply
4. Negotiating andcontracting
5. Managingcontracts and relationships
● In thefollowing paragraph, I'd like to share some of my original intention andexperience.
● As a workingprofessionals (man and woman), we have to work professionally and take care ofour family, this is not easy to combine well and not enough time to makeperfect in everything, but because of the mindset of keeping learning whileworking, be a life-long learner, staying in the market, keeping up-to-date, sowe do necessary to take some training course besides work.
● By working withpeople from different communication ways as from different background,different belief, different working style, I always like to learn how to workwith people from all over the world and how to "survive" in differentcultures, it provide me a great experience and become enjoyable in my work(this is the most part of my work so far, no big deal)
● We takeFace-to-face class in university or private room in every two weekends, from9:30 to 17:00, five subjects with totally 10 weeks duration.
Class taking undertimely schedule and you can't miss any one day otherwise it will be a lotbehind the others. Class completed and following 1 month later the exam comes,it has taken five continued afternoons
(3 hours per day x 5days).
● Although we feltexhausted but finally got "PASS", it is still an breathtakingprocess.
● All costs areworth it. We felt "no pain, no gain", it is a tiny achievement unlessyou are willing to take the steps. Our colleague-classmates always talked aboutthe funny training courses in our office and it is not bored as you have thecompanionships.
● With"N" years working experience in this field, we learned and growed.
we enhanceknow-how, to summarize what we already know and what we don't knowsystematically,
we exchange ideas bycollective brainstorming in class with people from different industries.
that is a goodgathering for so many procurement professionals and beloved teachers and luckilyyou are one of them. it is a precious short-term training experience.
● With strongpersistence and good attitude, nothing can't be achieved, right? if you bringyour commercial mindset on some life examples, you will possibly easily makesmart choices.
● Be smarterrather than be more "hard-working", Man!
● Not only thefunny classmates. But also kind teachers, they are experienced in procurementfrom different industries, this makes the most sparkling part of the study.
● The real case studyfrom our teacher makes the progression quickly, this is how we learn inprocurement=gain work experience.
● In order tohelp us to climb the career ladders, it is not a bad idea, too, right! Like an"Aha" moment to make progression, as sometimes you just need someoneto knock at your head a little bit.
The conclusionthat I have from this training, I will practice morein real work scenarios in the future.
Short list-Some tips:
● You can't only be hardworking to copypurchasing knowledge or use them as some kinds of formulars for your work, itwon't work for all occcasions.
● Since theprocurement is what you practically get from your work andbuild up as a skill set but notthe rules or what other people had passed onto you.
● Currently in China, there is not able to find many choices of well-equipped academic courses or subject to study inuniversities in China. Probablly we are still in thelearning process as not much practices and lack of real professional buyingexecution in term of enterprise type, business structure,people relationship & behavior and all other factors suchas no good social protection system with law or rules which those mayinfluence the decision making. That is why the so call procurement activities did not exist in majority of the oldstyle state-owned enterprises.
● However after joining WTO, we were
running sofast in last 15 years, we lost the competency in labor intensive industries which producing thelow cost products. And to import commodities insteadas we had awide range of middle class people whois the biggest group
comparing to any otherdeveloped countries'. Perhaps we will
become wealthysociety and developed country in the next 10or 15 years... we need to adapt the knowledgefrom other
developed countrieswhich used for over a decade in global
sourcing. In the no longerfar away future, our career will become more and moreprofessional job.
●Firstly, procurement is a technical job, it is unlike any other job not that simple, actually you must command
multiple skills and good at analyzing cost
statistics,collection of market research
and considermany reasons before making decisions.
You have to bereliable and
responsible on what you make and can foresee the
results that will not be a bad one. This is you need to do a lot of preparation work forsome strategies.
● Secondly, you need to work well with
others and get the full support from your
boss, the people from internal cross-departments
communication and suppliers.So not only
as to lower the price and reach the
reduction targets, this is not the most
challenging part,you may need to have good understanding on how to
contribute tothe company’s procurement strategy & sales
development strategy bothfor long term and short. It strongly
requires yourgood cooperation with others in the team. Without thesupportive clapping from others, you will not be recognized.
● Thirdly, different individuals will nothave the same
get-in on the same data analysisinput, this is so true, so we must
enhance ourinformation processing ability to find the
essential usefultruth from massive quantity of
informations. If you canfind what others can’t see,
you become the expert.
● Last but not least,from my personal experience, use a slang fromsales people: sales areeverywhere in life. So purchasing won’t exist nowhere. But in a foreign
company, you have tobuy and sell as a
merchant. The reality is the most
important and corevalue that you make the numbers.
In Chinese we have a slang: no
matter you are black or white cat,you are rewarded if you catch the rat. no doubt, haha!
● Likeany other jobs, you need a target andmeasurement to know where you are and how far away untilyou get to the end. Starting from the end...stick to the purposeand stick to the good results.
Speak is easy unlessyou put it into practice, hope you find it some useful tips.
Love and peace.